In a recent interview with The Sunday Times on Sunday, May 15, Jerry Bruckheimer discussed whether he believes Johnny Depp would return to the enormously successful Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. Jerry said, “Not at this moment,” when asked if Johnny, 58, will return to the movie series, according to E! news.
Despite the fact that there are no immediate plans to bring Johnny back as Captain Jack Sparrow, the producer stated that it is possible that he would return in the future. “The future is still up in the air,” he remarked. According to the producer, two Pirates films are now under development, one of which will feature Margot Robbie. In his defamation case against his ex-wife Amber Heard, Johnny’s role in the Pirates series has been a crucial factor. The actor claims that an op-ed she penned for The Washington Post damaged his reputation and cost him lucrative movie offers, including a role in the yet-to-be-announced Pirates of the Caribbean 6.
Several people who have worked with Johnny in the business have spoken about how Amber’s article impacted his career. Following “conversations with studios and various executives, both internal and external,” regarding why Johnny was having “difficulty” getting cast, Johnny’s former agent Christian Carino said in a pre-recorded deposition that he suspected Johnny wasn’t cast because of the claims of abuse. Johnny’s agent, Jack Whigham, tested that Johnny missed out on almost $22 million as a result of not getting cast in Pirates 6.
“It was hard to get him a studio film after the op-ed,” he claimed. Amber’s lawyer noted that no contract had been provided, but he had contended that Johnny would have gotten the agreement under different circumstances. “But Jerry Bruckheimer and I were campaigning to get it done, so we were hopeful.” “In early 2019, it became evident to me that it was over,” he added.